American Express Gold Card is also known as the Amex Gold Card is a premium card having an annual fee of $250. The card is also a great card for ordering takeout and traveling, dining out.
However, as I said earlier, the Credit Card comes with a high annual fee of $250.
Cardholders can make up the cost with about $240 in credits related to food each year as well as a $100 credit on hotel stays. However, having to pay $250 for a card isn’t what everyone can afford at the moment especially if they are on a budget.
Furthermore, if you order any food with well-recognized services like Uber Eats, Seamless, and GrubHub for either pickup or delivery at least two times a month. Then you can easily recoup the annual fee of the card.
Well, before jumping to a conclusion yet, below you will see some of the benefits as well as the credits of the American Express Gold Card. So with that, you can now decide or tell if the $250 annual fee is really worth it or not.
Benefits of the American Express Gold Card
The benefits of the Credit Card include:
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance.
- Amex Hotel Collection. Here, you get $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying spa, dining as well as resort activities. Not only that, you will as well be given a room upgrade upon your arrival, if available though. Whenever you book a stay of at least 2 consecutive nights using American Express Travel.
- Bonus rewards on supermarkets, dining, and some certain travel
- Flexible reward redemptions
- A sizable welcome offer.
- No foreign transaction fee
- $120 dining credit
- $100 resort credit
- Up to $120 a year in Uber Cash
- Presale and preferred event tickets
- Complimentary two-day shipping
- Baggage Insurance Plan
- Rental Car Insurance
- Return Protection
Advantages of the American Express Gold Card
Below are some of the advantages of the Credit Card:
- It has no foreign transaction fees
- Transfer partners
- It has high rewards rate in some categories
- Annual Dining Credit
- Can select from regular or rose gold versions
- High rewards earning possibilities
- It adds up to 5 authorized users for no additional annual fee.
- The credit card points transfer option to a lot of partners.
Some of the disadvantages of the American Express Gold Card include:
- It has no lounge membership.
- The card is not accepted as widely as Mastercard or Visa internationally.
- It has a limited option to carry a balance
- The card has a High pay overtime penalty APR
- It has a high APR for pay overtime feature.
Rewards of the Credit Card
The earning rewards of the American Express Gold Card include:
- 4 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent worldwide at restaurants.
- 3 points per dollar on flights booked directly through the travel site of Amex or through the website of the airline.
- Earn 4 points per dollar at U.S. supermarkets on close to $25,000 in spending per calendar year. Then a point thereafter.
- 1 point per dollar on every other purchase.
Alternatives to the American Express Gold Card
If you are on a budget or you ain’t eager to pay $250 for the annual fee of the credit card, then you can consider other cards like the:
- American Express Cash Magnet Card and the
- American Express Green Card.
At least those once are quite affordable.
The American Express Green Card is mainly focused on transit, restaurant, and travel rewards.
Whereas, the Cash Magnet Card is a very easy-to-use cash back card.
If the annual fee doesn’t bother you that much, then you can consider going for The Platinum Card. This card offers luxurious travel perks, including up to $200 in annual airline fee credits and $200 in annual Uber Cash.
Is the American Express Gold Card worth the annual fee?
If you use the annual credits of the American Express Gold Card and you end up s[pending so much on groceries and dining, then the card can be worth the annual fee of $250.
Also, if for any reason you aren’t maximizing the bonus categories and the credits as well, then you should opt for another card.
How much does the American Express Gold Card Cost?
If you opt for this Card, you will be paying $250 every year. However, you will receive a very rich welcome offer during the first year. In addition to that, you will be getting ongoing credits for dining and other perks.