Discover it Student Cash Back is one of the best cards for students as it offers great cash-back rewards together with a $0 annual fee. You can also qualify for a credit card with no credit history.
Discover it Student Cash Back is specially created for students who are building up their credit cards.
The credit card earns 5% cashback on about $1,500 each quarter in rotating bonus categories you must activate.
Just like grocery stores, Amazon.com, gas stations, restaurants, and also when you pay making use of PayPal.
Also, you will get 1% back on every other thing.
Once you complete your first year as a cardholder, Discover bank will now link every cashback that you have earned.
So if you are looking at building credit and want rewards at the same time then the Discover it Student Cash Back is a very good credit card.
But take note that you will have to wait for one year for the cashback of Discover to fit in.
Rates and fees
Annual Fee: $0
Introductory Offer: 0% intro APR on new purchases for first 6 months (12.99%-21.99% variable thereafter)
Penalty APR: None
Estimated yearly rewards value ($300 monthly spend): $85
Balance Transfer Fee: 3% intro balance transfer fee, up to 5% fee on future balance transfers.
Foreign Purchase Transaction: None
Cash Advance: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is great.
Its rewards program include:
- 5% cash back on rotating quarterly bonus categories, which is up to
- $1,500 per quarter. Then 1% enrollment required.
- 1% cashback on other purchases.
- Matches cash back at the end of the first year.
Discover it Student Cash Back Pros and Cons
Below are the advantages and the disadvantages of using the Discover it Student Cash Back
- It doesn’t require any FICO history
- You can earn 5% Cash Back in rotating categories each quarter up to the quarterly maximum whenever you activate.
- It has no annual fee
- Bonus cash back categories.
- No foreign transaction fee
- Intro APR period on Purchases and Balance Transfers.
- Bonus rewards categories need quarterly activation.
- Slightly less merchant acceptance for Discover in the US.
Who is the Card Created For?
- Students who do not want to pay an annual fee.
- Students who want to gain rewards for purchases and good grades.
Not Great For
The card is not great for:
- Students who want to earn a sign-up bonus quickly.
- Students who need a high rewards rate on every purchase.
How Do I Redeem Rewards with the Discover it Student Cash Back?
Students having the Discover it Student Cash Back Credit Card can redeem their rewards at “Amazon.com”. They can as well redeem it as a direct deposit, donation, statement credit, or gift card.
However, out of all these options, gift cards offer the most value. When you redeem cashback rewards for the gift cards (starting at $5), you will receive a bonus on each of the cards.
How do you use the Discover it Student Cash Back Card?
To use the card:
- Try maximizing your cashback by making use of your credit card for most of your purchases. Instead of cash and debit.
- Try not to pay interest by paying off your purchases in full every month.
- Create a plan on how you will pay your balance back before the interest-free offer of the cards expires. That’s if you take advantage of the six-month introductory offer on purchases of the card.
- Sign up for Social Security monitoring and review your FICO score regularly to take advantage of the credit building of the card.